Saturday, September 19, 2009

Fahrenheit 451

I just finished reading The Hearth and the Salamander and really enjoy this section of the book. This is the second time I am going to be reading this book. I read Fahrenheit in 11th grade. I enjoyed it when I read it in 11th grade but now, reading it for the second time, I am reading certain parts of the book that make more sence and connect the story together.
So far this book is about Guy Montag who is a fire fighter who burns books instead of putting out fires. I really like the character Guy. Throughout this section of the book you can see how he changes and comes to realize how crazy it is to burn books. He says that he doesn't feel happy anymore, he's always mad, he just feels horrible. I think the two things that really made him think about his life and if he is happy or not are Clarrise and when Guy and his crew burned the women with her books.
Clarisse was a very unique character and i really enjoyed reading parts of the book with her in it. She actually reminded me of the girl from Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix, Luna lovegood. She just seemed like she was out there and weird, but on the other hand she was very interesting and enjoyable. Even though she seemed weird compared to all the other characters in Fahrenheit, I think she seemed weird because she was actually the only normal character in the book, which made her seem weird. On page 9 she says " I sometimes think drivers don't know what grass is, or flowers, becasue they never see them slowly. If you showed a driver a green blur, oh yes! he'd say, that's grass!" I think by making Clarisse say things like this, the author makes her seem like she really appreciates things and thinks about everything and makes her seems intellegent.
When Guy and his crew burnt the women and her books I think Guy, like any other normal human being, saw her face and it just totally changed his mind and even his life. He understood that if a women would sacrifice her life for a book then why are they so bad that him and his crew must burn them? Or why would his crew want to burn books so bad that they would murder another human being? I think guy realized that he no longer wants to burn books or make a living by being a fire man.
At this point in the book I think Guy is still really confused. I think that he definitely knows he doesn't ever want to burn another book again, or even walk back into the fire house, but I don't think he has a clue about what he is actually going to do about his situation. He seems like he is stuck, scared, confused, hurt, and mad, but committed to finding a way out.


*Some questions i have about this section of the book are: Did Clarisse really die? I dont think it made it very clear if she is dead or not, well at least i couldn't tell. Did Mrs. Montag feel the book that Guy hid under his pillow? Has guy always felt this way about books (always interested in books and never really liked his job)?

No comments:

Post a Comment